Sunday, November 2, 2008

Communion Joy


I had a wonderful communion experience this morning at church. We do communion quite a bit differently than what I grew up doing. For one, we do it once a month or so and that makes it extra special instead of a routine that is void of meaning. (For me, anyway. I'm not commenting on how it makes anyone else feel doing it every week - just what I always struggled with.) Another difference is that there are different stations around the auditorium and a couple is in charge of serving from each of those. During first service, we had communion during the middle of the service as a bridge between our praise time and the message. I was serving on the altar team, which means I am one of 6-10 people who stand at the front stage and receive anyone who would like prayer. We did our altar time in conjunction with communion and it was so poignant to watch my brothers and sisters take communion together and some receive prayer. I don't know what it was, but God touched me as I watched the church celebrate the Lord's Supper!
During second service, Avery, Jill and I served communion and that was especially meaningful. Jill broke the bread and offered it saying, "This is the body of Christ, broken for you." I held the cup while the members dipped their bread I reminded them, "This is the blood of Jesus that gives you life." Avery held a cloth napkin for anyone who needed to wipe their hands. Sometimes the juice dribbles. :) What a great picture - our little family serving that holy meal and being blessed in return!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

That's beautiful and wonderful! I love thinking about that image, so thanks for sharing. Vernon and I are so thankful that the Lord led you to such a beautiful church and that we are blessed by extension. We love you guys!

Mary Moudy said...

Gabe, I can't imagine not having that time every Sunday to commune with my Lord. Each Sunday the thoughts are different, but richer as it is a closer communion than it would be had I put it off for a month. Our example is "On the first day of the week" and I think it is there for a reason. Rethink this and try to stay with a "Thus saith the Lord" for all that you do when worshipping Him.